Friday, May 11, 2012

The Real Saints


“To all the mothers and sisters and wives and friends, I want to offer my love and respect to the end.”
~ Adam Yauch

Swami Satchidananda shared a story about a question he received from a student.  It was posted through the daily FB feed some time ago and apologize that I cannot find the link to share.  I’ll do my best to retell.

The student, a mother of 3 small children, wrote to Swami Satchidananda to seek guidance.  She was so busy taking care of her family that she did not have time to do her daily practice and worship.  Swami Satchidananda  replied that taking care of her family IS worship—an act of selfless service and devotion.  His advice was to worship, clothe, and bathe her children as if she were worshiping, clothing, and bathing the Lord.  Which is to say, continue to do exactly what she has been doing all along.

I am proud to say that my wife is a much better yogi than I can ever hope to be, raising our son and keeping the house and me in good working order. She works in true service, and I am grateful.

There is no need to travel to far off lands in search of spiritual teachers.  Look to your wife, to your mother.  These are the saints we should emulate.

Happy Mother’s Day!

In gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment