Monday, September 12, 2011

I Don't Know My ASANA From My BANDHA


It’s back to school time again (wait, didn’t I use that in a post already?).  Time for Training for Students Session 2: Light on Hatha Yoga, or "I Don't Know My Asana From My Bandha." Saturday September 17th from 1:30-3:30 at Hudson River Yoga!


This session we will focus on The Hatha Yoga Pradipika.  Written in +/- 1350 by Swami Swatmarama, this is the oldest surviving handbook for the practice of Hatha Yoga.  It is safe to assume that every class you have ever attended (or most likely, will attend) is based on this one small volume. Every class.

So why haven’t you heard of it?  I have my theories, the one I’m working on is that it is hard to say “Pradipika” and “Swatmarama.”  Does not roll off the tongue as easily as “The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.”  Some of the techniques, at first read, can be pretty demanding and obscure.  No, we will not be swallowing and regurgitating a meter of gauze, nor will we be slicing the membrane on the bottom of our tongue so that it can reach back and up into our sinuses.  But when we go beyond the foreign language and beyond the out of the ordinary practices, we are left with a very straightforward guide book for practice.

During the workshop we will have the opportunity to practice asana, pranayama, mudra, bandha, and meditation as prescribed in the Pradipika.  We’ll put the practice of these techniques in perspective and discuss how they relate to the overall goal of the science of Yoga.  There will be handouts (and electronic hand outs—if you would like a copy of the Pradipika, I will send you a link to download a free pdf version of a pretty good translation).  And there will even be a fancy Prezi presentation. (Just say NO to Powerpoint!).

This workshop is for EVERYONE.  It is a good introduction for students new to Yoga, a way for current students to deepen their practices, and a great opportunity for current teachers to build on their knowledge.

Contact me directly for more details.

See you on the mat!

No comments:

Post a Comment