Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back to School Time / Schedule Change


We are about a week and a half away from my inaugural Student Training Program.  Session 1 is Saturday, August 20th from 1:30-3:30 at Hudson River Yoga. History, biology, chemistry, and physics taught through stories about flying monkeys and dancing elephants!   I would have paid much more attention in physics if there was a flying monkey involved, but that is just me…

This series is your opportunity to find greater depth in your practice. Yes, I have a framework for the sessions, however, this is ultimately your practice, your opportunity to ask questions and discuss aspects of the practice, things which we so often do not have the time to do during a regular group class.  I am truly looking forward to this opportunity to discuss and help create a more enjoyable practice for you.

Before you hit the sales at Penny’s and Staples (and Lululemon), let’s break down what would be beneficial to bring:
  • Your mat.  There are mats at the studio, however, having a personal mat helps your overall practice by providing you with a personal, transportable space. Having a mat also cuts away the excuse: “I can’t practice at home, I don’t even have a mat.” Read:  Home practice will be part of the homework.
  • Something to write with and something to write on.  If you are the note taking type.  There is no test, and I will distribute the visual presentation via e-mail.  If note taking works for you, I encourage you to do it.
  • Clothing for sitting and physical practice.  The first half of the session will be knowledge based, the second half will be movement based. Physical comfort is important because it eliminates some distractions.   
  • Water to hydrate before and after physical practice.  Drinking is contraindicated during practice. Why shouldn’t students drink during practice?  Well, we’ll discuss that at the session.
  • Yourself.  Ok, that’s a bit cheesy, but it is true.  Showing up both physically and mentally is the first, and most important, element of this whole practice. 

On a side note, Tuesday, August 16th will be my last Tuesday night class at Hudson River Yoga.  Starting Monday August 22nd, I will be taking over the Monday 7 PM class.  There will still be class on Tuesday evenings at 7:15 with Monique—warm Vinyasa.

Speaking of Vinyasa, you may have noticed that I have changed the name of my classes at HRY to “Hatha Yoga.”  I have done this to more accurately reflect the evolution of my own practice and teaching style.  “Vinyasa” refers to (or should refer to, unfortunately it has become a catch all term with very little relation to the true meaning) a very specific set of poses practiced in a very specific way as taught by Krishnamacharya.  Out of respect for the lineage I am altering how I identify my classes.  “Hatha” yoga refers to any yogic practice which focuses on training and cleansing the body and manipulating the flow of breath in order to move energy within the body. Vinyasa is a specific form of Hatha.  Don’t worry, I’m still going to challenge you, just in slightly different arrangement.
See you on the mat!

No comments:

Post a Comment